Monday 11 March 2013

Belgiummmmmmmm :)


March 1st 2013 Post

Waiting at the airport:

After getting patted down at security because something on my body kept making the metal detectors beep (I think it was my watch and ring) it’s currently 7:05pm and I am at the Copenhagen Airport because I am going to Belgium! J I sat down for a while near the duty free shops because I came quite a bit early and the monitors didn’t have my gate number up yet. I’m not sure about you but whenever I’m early at the airport, the one thing I usually do a lot of is observe. It’s not that I’m trying to be a creeper but I get tired of reading or writing and people are so interesting. For example, I saw a young man who worked for Joe and the Juice flirting with a young woman who worked for Pandora. She went up to him while he was picking up some boxes filled with apples to bring them into Joe and the Juice. They spoke for a while and the young woman got a free apple out of it.

Once my gate number became available, I began to walk towards it. About half way to my gate, I saw something I thought I wouldn’t see until May 17. Starbucks. Yes, you read me right, Starbucks. The one thing Copenhagen doesn’t have is this great little coffee shop. Now don’t get me wrong, they have plenty of coffee shops such as Baresso but no Starbucks. So, what do you do when you are abroad and you see this beautiful site? Grab yourself a caramel macchiato and continue on your journey to your gate. I even have proof for you:

Several steps ahead, I arrive upon my gate and I hear some yellow coming from the counter near the entrance of the plane. Well from what I was here to hear, a woman was trying to get the plane to wait for her husband who was still at security. The woman was here (the gate) with her son and her brother. Now the plane was meant to leave at 7:05pm and guess what time it was? 7:05pm. That time also translates to 19:05. Well the man at the desk was telling her that the plane couldn’t wait and she was not having it. The man gave her an ultimatum of either getting on the plane or not. She chose not to get on the plane. 4 minutes later, a man comes running to the gate (the husband) and he asks about his wife. The man at the front tells him that she left but the captain said that he would wait one more minute for them to get on the plane. At this time, I turn to look outside the window to see that the plane was just waiting there with a latter so they could get on. (What a nice captain waiting for the family! I’m impressed.) Now here comes the sad part. The man doesn’t know where his wife went and so he tells the front desk attendant that he will not be getting on this plane. You may be asking yourself where they were going. Paris, France.

With that tid-bit of excitement over with, I looked away from the front desk to see a woman riding a scooter. A woman running very quickly might I add. An airport employee on a scooter (I’m guessing that’s how they get around here. I like!)  More people coming into this cubicle like waiting area that has its own bathroom. Oh! I just saw a really cute boy. Make that two cute boys. Then a woman asks the woman who is sitting next to me to watch her bag while she goes somewhere.

And if you wondering about my drink (which you probably weren’t) it’s gone now, just like the time I’ve spent in this airport.

*My tummy sort of hurts from the coffee I drank, but it was totally worth it.
8:12pm (20:12)

I’m now on the plane and oh my goodness I am SOO excited!! It feels like my insides are going to burst out from all this excitement! 

I somehow got lucky and have no one sitting on my side so if I wanted to I could lie across all three seats and take a nap. I don’t think I will do that since this flight is only an hour and 10 minutes.

One cool think about taking Brussels airlines is that they speak in three languages: French, English and I believe Danish. So I get to practice my French which isn’t very good since I have no one to speak to in French back in the states. It’s a tad bit weird though when I hear French. For example, a flight attendant told me “bon soire” which means good evening in French and it took me 5 seconds to comprehend what she was saying. Then when I wanted to say thank you, I was about to say tak which is the Danish thank you but I wasn’t sure if she spoke Danish so I was going to say merci but all I said was thank you in English. Confused yet? Me too. All these languages are getting jumbled up in my head. Let’s just say I am now very impressed with people who speak 10 different languages and can switch from one to the next with ease because I obviously just failed that task.

Fun fact about me, my ears always hurt when the plane takes off and lands. This isn’t the regular ear pain that comes and goes away within 10 minutes of landing; it literally feels like someone is smashing my whole face with a hammer. This description may be a little too dramatic but I need you to understand the pain that I go through whenever I fly. I always try chewing gum, yawning, holding my nose and blowing the air out, drinking water, swallowing a lot and nothing ever works. Someone needs to come up with an invention that prevents these ears/head pains while flying. Um maybe I’ll do that myself. Watch out world, I may find a cure for this curse!

I wish there was Wi-Fi on this airplane so I could post this right away (hint hint to all airlines).

March 11th (today)
So I spent 10 days in Belgium. I met many amazing people that I will stay in touch with and they are truly my family so it's nice to know that other people out there are similar to me :-) and I'm so greatly for them for showing me around Belgium everyday that I was there. 

That is all i shall say about my trip because I have to study for my accounting exam Thursday. Let's just say these next two weeks aren't going to be very fun like my time in Belgium. 

If you are wondering why I haven't posted many pictures, it's because i took over 600 pictures and that's a lot to go through and put on this blog.

till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment